One of my top priority projects this summer has been to finally get our apartment organized and clean - genuinely clean, not just clean-as-long-as-you-don't-look-in-any-closets. I'll be honest - I've been putting it off all summer because I a) had more pressing (read: fun) projects to attend to and b)was terrified to start because I have not been on top of this organization thing, and the back log that has resulted is quite frankly devastating. Plus, I'm a serious procrastinator. So it should be no surprise that I only began to tackle this mountain o' chores this week, when it became very apparent that school is indeed about to start, which means I won't have any more time to organize until June.
It's a race against time. I have to get everything in order before classes start, otherwise it will all just start building up again and I will be lost under an even bigger pile of paperwork until the year's end.
I have NEVER been an organized person. Now, to clarify, I always have the best of intentions to organize myself. For as long as I can remember, I have started the school year (both as a student and a teacher) with systems of folders, binders, dividers, and labels in place, totally prepared to keep myself on top of things and thus be more efficient and just plain better at whatever I am doing. Plus, organization has the nifty built in advantage of helping one avoid those terrifying involving missing bills/missed deadlines/lost piles of ungraded tests. The problem is, my system inevitably falls apart only a few weeks into the year, and then I never get it back because I don't have the time/motivation to work on it.
So, this most recent attempt at organizing has been much more comprehensive than others in years gone by. This gives me hope that somehow this year will be different. But my question is this: is wanting to be organized enough to make it stick, or do I have to be a naturally organized person to follow through? Can I pull it off?
I guess my solution here is to manufacture some sort of accountability out of this post. Now you all know that I intend to be organized, and now my failure can't be a secret anymore. Plus, my mother and sister are reading this right now (hi, Mom and Heidi) and even though they won't post comments, they can still ask about it in person, and the potential of admitting failure may keep me from falling off the wagon. Maybe it will work?
4 comments:
Keep me posted- hints from you may make me more organized!
I'm going to guess - Mom?
yes, you are correct. Still can't get google to accept a comment.
oops- just did!
Post a Comment