...with a movie. And other things and one person in particular, but this post is about a movie. I watched August Rush tonight, and I think it is maybe my new favorite movie.
When it first came out, I was really skeptical about the trailers and had absolutely no interest in seeing it. However, since Jeremy is out of town this week and I spend my nights alone and quilting, I stopped by Blockbuster after picking up my standard Panera dinner. I almost rented Bottle Shock, which I had seen a preview for when I watched The Secret Life of Bees (also amazing) last week (again, Jeremy was out of town - I apparently don't have a whole lot of range in finding ways to entertain myself). As I was hemming and hawing (sp?) over the first choice, I for some reason randomly remembered August Rush, went and found it, and the rest is history.
I was really planning on half-heartedly watching it tonight as I worked on baby quilt #3, but as the movie rolled on I started to realize my quilt was sitting abandoned in my lap while I stared misty-eyed and open-mouthed at the TV.
Yes, it is pretty unrealistic. And yes, it is pretty sentimental. But it is unrealistic and sentimenal in the best way, and what good fiction isn't a little unrealistic? No one complains about Salman Rushdie's disregard for realism, and his work is considered pretty great literature. Regardless, I loved everything about this movie, from the acting to the story to the ending, and I especially loved the music. The music alone is worth watching for, and frankly, with it as a background (or maybe foreground, in some cases) to some of the scenes, the effect is absolutely magical. The whole movie is sad, sweet, surreal, spooky, BEAUTIFUL, and yes, magical. I love love love it, and for the first time in my life, I wanted to press play all over again as soon as it ended.
No comments:
Post a Comment