Saturday, September 12, 2009

the down side of summer

Today was the first day of classes, but the periods were shortened to 25 minutes and really just meant for introductory purposes, so as teaching goes, it was pretty easy. Somehow, though, that first day is always intimidating. I think it's something about the way new kids stare at you when you're teaching, because they don't know you well enough to know how to react when you make jokes and such, so more often than not I ended up hearing crickets when I tried to lighten the mood. Or, I'm just not funny - equally possible. It's also super intimidating to teach seniors, and since one of my classes has thirteen senior/PG boys who look older than I do, I was a little nervous for that one.
All in all, the day went fairly smoothly, aside from the quick little trip I took the to the ER to pick up a girl in my dorm (she's fine). I don't consider it a good sign when the first hospital visit of the year happens so early.
All of this is to say that while the first (official - we've been doing meetings and other random stuff for about a week and a half) day back went well, it was still a shock to the system. Symbolically, this can all be represented in the fact that my knee currently hurts so much right now that I have it in an ice pack and earlier was actually dreading having to do rounds in the dorm because it meant I would have to walk. I'm blaming the pain on the fact that I wore heels all day for the first time in many months, and clearly my body is telling me that just a few more weeks of summer would be nice. But alas, here we go anyway.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

what subject do you teach? what do you have to do when you do on rounds? i have so many questions!

Meredith said...

Everyone always has questions! I teach English (ninth and twelfth grade). I do rounds in the dorm when I'm on duty - I walk around to check on things and making sure nothing is being set on fire, thrown out of windows, or sacrificed.