So today I was filling up the Outback on the way to an extremely unproductive trip to the Gap (note to retail stores: please don't put awesome leather jackets on your website and then not put them in your stores) and I was standing by my car all spaced out waiting for the tank to fill when a kid in a beat up pick up truck pulled up next to me. I didn't even notice him until he said "Excuse me, Ma'am?" (strike one for you, bucko), and almost simultaneously this good ole boy looking eighty-something man in a less beat up pick up pulled up behind him, jumped out, and yelled, "What the hell are you tryin' to pull?"
Not so intelligently, the kid replied, "Huh?"
The rogue elderly samaritan repeated, "What the hell are you tryin' to pull?!"
Kid: "I'm calling my dad!" (huh?)
Samaritan: "Bull! I've been watchin' you go back and forth between these two gas stations bummin' money off people all day!"
Kid answers cell phone and silently drives away as the old man stands staring after him for a good two minutes. Old man then goes an gives an earful to the gas station attendant who has apparently failed to defend his customers' vulnerable wallets.
So I'm not exactly sure what the kid would have eventually asked me for, but it was nice to not have to have an awkward I-don't-have-any-money-to-give-and-even-if-I-did-I-wouldn't-give-it-to-you-plus-you-called-me-ma'am-which-makes-me-automatically-hate-you conversation. Plus, who doesn't love a good unexpected Western style show down on a Tuesday in Connecticut?
Oh, and the song of the day is "Raspberry Beret" by Prince. Jeremy bought me his greatest hits a few weeks ago after I commented that I needed both Prince and Michael Jackson albums. Unfortunately, MJ died only a few days later and now I'm fairly certain it may be a few years before I can even find a copy of anything of his. Anyway, "Raspberry Beret" was my go-to song today as I traversed many windy Connecticut back roads and repeatedly got frustrated with radio stations' inability to play ANY good music.
No comments:
Post a Comment