Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Life is very different this year

Around where I work, changes tend to happen in stages, so sometimes you never notice how different things will look when it all shakes out.

I am only teaching one class now, and for the rest of the day, I am in an office, at a desk, instead of running between classrooms and home and a big communal office. I am technically an administrator. I am also learning a whole new job.

J's commute to school is HALF as long as last year. No more train. No more subway. No more being at the mercy of a public transportation schedule.

I am only coaching one season. I don't really know what else to add.

I have boys living in my dorm now. Ten fifteen year-old boys. Most of them play varsity sports and are taller than I am. I am the only woman on my staff, and definitely the only one living in the building. In previous years, I always reminded the girls to wear bathrobes in the halls and be careful not to make the male faculty uncomfortable, and now I have to make that plea for myself.

Really, I'm surprised I'm not more freaked out, because normally I get all unsettled and uncomfortable when things change. Of course, I am definitely feeling both of those things, along with anxiety and fear, but usually it's only for portions of the day instead of the whole time. I call that progress.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Love you.