I was so happy today because we had our first home race of the season, and it seemed like such a luxury to not have to derig, drive, rig, derig, and drive. So much for happiness. Like yesterday, everything went wrong, including one of the visiting coaches flipping over in one of our launches (which now will not start). The kids rowed like crap and just didn't seem to give a damn about how they were doing, the merit of at least showing effort, or pride in our program. We lost by ten seconds to boats we beat by thirty seconds last year. So we just keep getting worse, and none of them tries to improve on the things we point out, and I'm frankly feeling incredibly ineffectual.
To top it off, rather than expressing disappointment or saying they should have tried harder, all the kids wanted to talk about was how quickly we could get them to dinner.
Side note: it's not just our kids I'm unimpressed with. The third boat on one of the other teams had the most deplorably disrespectful language I've ever heard out of teenagers. And when the coach flipped over in his launch, the kids on his team laughed and said it made their day. This was a metal boat. With a MOTOR, and yes, those have been known to kill people.
I just don't know what to do anymore.
No comments:
Post a Comment